May 29, 2011

Pithari Taverna (Highland Park, NJ)

I have a deep, on-the-verge-of-unsettling addiction to Greek food.
If I had to pick one thing I ate over and over again for eternity, first I'd throw a temper tantrum, and then I'd pick Greek.
It's invariably cool, refreshing, and filling without stuffing you to the point of unbuttoning your pants.

Pithari in Highland Park is evilly good.

What you should get:
- A greek salad (the small is still big enough to split with a friend)

- PIkilia Cold Spreads appetizer sampler, which includes: hummus, tzatziki, melitzanosalata (aka roasted eggplant dip), tyrokafteri (aka spicy feta), olive spread, and taramosalata (aka caviar dip, which I usually request be replaced with extra tzatziki). Plan to go straight home so you can deliver all of your leftover dips right to the fridge and enjoy for days to come. 

- A cup of avyolemeno (aka glorious egg-lemon-chicken soup) - with very tender pulled chicken that doesn't overpower the smooth, tangy broth

- Lots and lots o' pita

For me, that's all I need. 

However, if you're in the mood for a heartier, more carnivorous meal there is a ton to choose from.  The portions are literally huge.  If you get one of the entree sampler platters prepare to bring home enough for many many a future meal.  

{Photo:  PIkilia Cold Spreads, about to be devoured, then bemoaned because my friend and I had no means of preserving the leftovers through 2+ hours of the ballet we were scheduled to see after dinner...)

No comments:

Post a Comment